Planning to repurpose the display, can I repurpose the speakers too?
My 2013 27” iMac has served me well, but is starting to show its age. I’m planning on disassembling it and selling the internals, but intend to keep the chassis and screen to create a DIY external display using a tutorial I found. However, this got me wondering whether or not I could do the same thing with the speakers. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Adding some of the resources I’ve found for performing this mod with the screen alone. This is not a complete list.
The part number for the 2013 27" iMac display is LM270WQ1, and can have the part number 661-7169 or 661-7885. Models for sale online often have an" (SD) (F1)" after the model number. Displays on eBay list different designations such as (SD) (E3). I obviously won't know which one I have until i open my machine, but this will clearly affect which controller I need, as when I search for LM270WQ1 controller on eBay, various models appear with different designations.
- This video by DIY Perks is what first gave me the idea. Doesn’t relate to the iMac specifically, but still interesting and outlines the general process. https://youtu.be/CfirQC99xPc
- @moomike made a How To for a 2006 iMac. Helpful to see his process, and the Q&A has some helpful links for some of the other materials I’d need. Wie man einen iMac Intel in einen Externen Monitor umwandelt
- Capital Mac Service made a tutorial for a 2009 iMac. Again, not the right model, but seeing the process step by step is very beneficial. https://youtu.be/CfirQC99xPc
- NJY Touch seems to be one of the main sellers of LCD controllers on eBay. They also have their own site and have a specific listing for the LM270WQ1 display. http://www.njytouch.com/products/showpro...
- This person did some troubleshooting on this specific display, though I can’t tell if he did an external display mod, or just repaired it for use in the original iMac. LM270WQ1 (SD) (B3) Controller board
- This TonyMac x86 thread goes into some detail and troubleshooting for other users looking to perform this mod on older iMacs. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/imac-...
Ist dies eine gute Frage?