I had the exact same problem and even took it to an Apple store, which said the cost of fixing it, given it was an older first generation unibody, made no sense. So, I was on my own.
Following suggestion I found online, i did the following:
1) Carefully took pix of everywhere there was glue inside the case.
2) Scraped out the old glue and noted its locations.
3) Sanded these locations lightly with high grit paper (600 I think). Vacuumed carefullly.
4) Treated these spots with a weak acid to etch them, I think I used vinegar.
5) Wiped it with rubbing alcohol to clean all residue and aluminum dust.
6) Using the photographs, I carefully applied JB-Weld Liquid Steel Epoxy to the same plces the glue was located, not just gooping it in, but not just putting a few touches of it either. Use the JB-Weld that takes the longest time to cure. (That is the strongest.)
7) Clamped it carefully, just enough to hold together, and make sure you don't let the case skew while clamping. Undue and realign it if needed. Left it two days.
Result: it worked. The case cover is back on, the screen is not coming loose, and it has held up 6 months now. Even getting very hot at times. It works.
NOTE: I do carefully baby the hinge, i don't just open and close it like when new, i continue to press down on the back and slowly open to minimize pressure on the hinge and reverse this when I close. Anyone who has the loose hinge knows what I am talking about. IT can't hurt to keep it stressed as little as possible. That said, I have forgotten one or twice and just slammed it shut or yanked it open. No problems.
War diese Antwort hilfreich?
thanks for your responses. still a bit unsure as it is the alluminium case on the back of the screen which has come away from the body of the screen... the glue inside looks like some kind of heavy duty araldite or similar. any ideas with this? the glass infront of the screen is actually ok, just the casing on the back....
von Rupert Jarvis
Can you take a close up picture to share? That would be helpful.
von Brady Cabe
Rupert what was the glue you used. My laptop is headed the same way. I hate to say but it is the same corner as yours too. Its not as bad yet but the black thing that covers the hinges is coming off and when I move the screen I can see where the glass is coming out of the housed aluminum cover.
Well mine has held up since the post above dated Aug 18th
I have the same problem in the same corner. I never dropped it, It's just been separating more and more as time goes by.
did the solution hold up?
von john seefeldt
10 weitere Kommentare anzeigen