vertical lines bottom 1/3 of display
Apple MacBook Pro "Core Duo" 2.16 17" Specs
Identifiers: MacBook Pro 17-Inch - MA092LL/A - MacBookPro1,2 - A1151
I have read your similar posts and have pretty much concluded that the solution to my problem is either replacing the video cable or the entire display. There's a huge difference in price there, and my question is about the likelihood that it's the cheaper (cable replacement). I ask because I may not be willing to put as much money as a new display into a first generation 17" MacBook Pro, since the second monitor works fine.
Here are the other symptoms:
• Lines appear and flicker on their own throughout the day or with even the slightest movement of the MacBook Pro.
• After flickering between vertical lines and trying to show the bottom of my desktop, that area (bottom 1/3 of display) will go totally black.
• Lightly tapping the case (anywhere on the case) or the left side of the display or moving the display back and forth will eventually get the lines to flicker again and finally disappear to display the full desktop. But the next time someone sneezes it'll start all over again.
• The second monitor is fine and does not show the lines when mirroring.
• The Mac NEVER freezes, as some with with similar lines have reported.
• I recently replaced a fan in the MacBook and did my best to make certain the video cable was seated securely at that end. I had the problem both before and after the fan replacement - no difference there.
• The MacBook Pro has very seldom been used as a laptop or portable. That is, it's been stationary on the desktop for most of it's life and no rough play.
Since the slightest movement or gentlest tapping can bring on the problem and/or eliminate the problem, does that sound more like a cable replacement ($200+) or a display replacement ($600+) - or can you tell?
I'm just looking for odds here - no guarantee. For if the fix is more likely a $600 fix I might get an iPad instead, and use the MacBook with the external monitor.
..thanks for any odds you can give...
Ist dies eine gute Frage?