Upgrading a mid 2011 27” iMac to run macOS Big Sur
As I did previously with my mid 2007 20” iMac, let’s weigh in if it’s worth it to upgrade a mid 2011 27” iMac to run macOS Big Sur.
Price: Picked this beauty up for $225.
- CPU: 2.7 GHz Core i5 (I5-2500S)
- Ram: 4 GB DDR3-1333
- GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512mb GDDR5 memory
- Hardrive: 1TB HDD
- Optical Drive: 8X DL "SuperDrive"
- Bluetooth and Wifi: Bluetooth 2.1 and 802.11n
What I have ordered for the iMac to do the upgrade.
- CPU: I’m leaving that as is for now.
- Ram: Upgrade for a total of 12 GB - I have some extra ram laying around but for OWC ram it would be $42.99
- GPU: NVIDIA QUADRO K2100M 2GB GDDR5 memory - $64.99 (I will have to flash this once installed)
- Hard drive: 1TB SSD- $89 plus a 250 GB SSD for macOS. Already own this one but I paid $17.61 for the “iMac to sata” cable to use in the extra port on the logic board.
- Optical Drive: Keeping the original.
- Bluetooth and wifi: BCM94360CD Dual Band For Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11ac. - $35.99 (including adapter)
GPU will be here tmrw so I’ll start with that. Hopefully the flash goes well and it works ?
Ist dies eine gute Frage?