Noisy Fan/Heat issues
20 - 30 Minuten
I had a noisy fan. The noise developed following a period when my computer was running hot for unknown reason. Some fixes on an applecare repair solved the overheating, but then the fan got noisy. I took it into the Apple store as my Applecare had run out and they suggested something had gotten sucked into the vent and was causing the noise. I took it apart and, aside from a bunch of dust and lint, nothing caught in the fan. the fan seemed OK, though I didn't actually run it outside the machine. Still noisy.
So I ordered a new fan and replaced it. The new one is nearly silent. Only wish I had ordered 2 and replaced both, as I can now hear the other one (but only slightly).
Things I have to remind myself over and over:
1. There are no geniuses even (or maybe especially) at the "genius bar."
2. I can figure things out as well as anyone.
3. Any explicit technical info that cannot be figured out can be gleaned from the internet or other sources when needed.
4. Don't wait around to fix things. Do it when they are broken.
5. Look for great self-empowering resources like iFixit.
6. Never underestimate the damage heat can cause electronic devices: keep things cool. (I just bought a small 12 volt fan to cool my stack of hard drives.)