Switch stuck at boot, but charges fine.
Essentially my switch is stuck at boot on the switch logo. This happened after it froze on a blank screen for the first time (white with a slight orangy tint) while waking it up from sleep while docked using the Joy-Cons.
I’ve never used any third-party dock or charger, no water, no falls.
Could this be a hardware issue?
Initially I thought so because of the similarity to the dock issues, but after running some tests (see below) I thought it might be software related. Fixing the software didn’t help either though, so I’m still not sure what the issue is.
- Switch is stuck on boot at switch logo.
- Joy-Cons sync up immediately when powered on.
- Charging via official charger works.
- While docked the green light quickly flashes and then stays dark. No HDMI output, built-in screen remains on.
- Screen, Joy-Cons, Touchscreen, Sound, USB-C port, SD-card reader, etc. all works.
What I've tried:
- Hard reset via power button
- Completely discharging and recharging it
- Entering recovery mode -> not possible, since it gets stuck on switch logo before
- Entering safe mode -> this is actually possible but it doesn't seem to do anything (the square rotates but the progress bar stays empty for hours)
- Opening it up and checking for shorts on some of the capacitors (especially charging ICs) -> nothing
Note that I only starting messing with the software after it bricked to diagnose and fix the issue.
- RCM mode, payloads, and custom bootloader work fine.
- Full NAND backup/restore works.
- CFWs do not boot! They are stuck at the same place as the OFW.
- Linux with Retroarch boots and works flawlessly as far as I could tell from a quick test.
At this point I'm thinking the hardware is fine, and it's just the OS that messed itself up somehow and since the CFWs are more like patches than independent firmwares, it makes sense that they would be affected as well. So
- I flashed two different official firmware versions (6.1 and 5.1) using ChoiDuJour (PC) thinking that would fix it, but neither of them were able to get past the switch logo either.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading this far!
Edit: formatting & picture, as per suggestion
Ist dies eine gute Frage?