Palm Treo 680 Troubleshooting
Many problems can be solved by a reset, if you have tried this already or you have an unrelated issue feel free to pass up this section.
A soft reset will normally not delete any user data unless there are power issues also involved.
1. Turn off wireless mode by pressing and holding the red Power/End key.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Take out the battery.
4. Put the battery back in.
5. Replace the battery cover.
6. After a soft reset, a logo screen appears, followed shortly by a Preferences screen asking you to set time and date.
A hard reset will return your phone to its factory conditions.
- A Hard Reset will delete all information *** that is saved directly on your phone so try to back up your contacts and any other information saved on your phone before doing Hard Resetting.
1. Remove the battery cover.
2. Press and hold the Power (on/off) button on your device.
3. While holding the Power button, take out the battery and put it back in.
4. If you see a progress bar, keep holding the Power button.
5. Next, the Palm Powered screen will appear. Release the Power button when you see it.
6. You will see a screen that asks: Erase all data? YES = "up" button NO = any other button. Press UP on your 5-way navigator to complete the hard reset.
Treo won't turn on
Palm Treo won't boot up
Hold Switch is on
If your lucky enough to have this be your problem then congratulations, but if not let us continue.
Check the connections between the battery, the phone and the charger and make sure they are clean, undamaged and there is not a loose connection.
The battery may be dead, so try plugging it into its charger.
Bad Logic Board
Try a Hard Reset. See Reset section for more information.
Replace your logic board.
If the screen is shattered or black then replacing the screen is your best bet.
- *** If the screen is black make sure to check that there really are not any images showing up on the screen. If there are and they are very very dim then it is probably an issue with your backlight. Go to the backlight section for more information.
If your phone turns on, but one or more of the buttons on your keyboard do not work then it is possible that something is wrong with the IC chip crystal that corresponds to your keyboard.
To fix this you will need to take your phone to your local service center and they will try to re-heat the crystal.
Another possible solution to this is replacing the keyboard.
If when you make calls the person on the other line can not hear you, but you can hear them, then it is possibly your microphone.
This is a fairly common problem, but make sure it is not due to patchy service. Once it has been established that it is not patchy service then go ahead and replace the mic.
It could also be the headset jack is not reconnecting the internal mic after the jack is removed. Several people have tried lubricants to toothpicks to release the switch.
If you can not hear any sounds from your phone then most likely it is the speaker and it will need to be replaced.
If you can not get service anywhere or you are prompted with an error that your phone can not read your sim card.
Make sure the sim card has the contacts facing into the phone.
Clean the contacts on the sim card and on the phone with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
- *** Be very careful when cleaning. Also do not use sandpaper (some other guides suggest this) because it is possible to damage the sim card and/or phone.
If your backlight is not on try pushing option + p it will adjust the brightness on your screen.
If that does not work try a soft reset on your phone. See Reset section for more information.
If that does not work try Hard resetting your phone. See Reset section for more information.